Day Camp Sports Counselors (Summer 2017)
Locations:“Z” Frank ApachiBernard HorwichElaine Frank ApachiMayer Kaplan
JCC is looking for a high energy, athletic, enthusiastic Summer Camp Sports Instructors to lead and teach our campers in an outdoor, camp environment. Plan and lead fun and engaging sports activities, with each week focusing on a different sport. Highlighted sports include basketball, soccer, baseball/softball, and Flag Football.
Key Essential Job Functions:
- Lift/move children up to 45 lbs.
- Demonstrate physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day.
- Move from sitting (chair and floor) to standing position easily and quickly.
- Stand for long periods of time and be able to run and actively engage physically with children.
- Ability to assist getting children on and off the bus and or cars.
- Able to ride on bus for a field trip and or bus route.
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of children ages 3 – 12 years old.
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand.
- Actively participate with children during games including running & climbing.
- Be in a swimming pool up to one hour, observing and supervising children in the water.
- Move around with children at their pace and be actively involved with children rather than just watching them.
- Supervise children, keeping them in sight and sound at all times.
- Know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behaviors. Prevent, circumvent, and deal with problem behaviors appropriately and effectively.
- Maintain a sense of calm and perspective with physical and mental alertness during stressful times.
- Consistently demonstrate and reinforce the values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility.
- Ability to run up to 100 yards (in the case of a emergency).
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program.
JCC Day Camps offer a great salary, bonus opportunities and a fun work environment!
We are looking for talented, leaders 19 years of age and older to lead sports programming. Pursuing or having a degree in Recreation, Sports, Kinesiology, Education or related field a plus but not required; CPR, AED and First Aid certification; demonstrated knowledge of sports, game rules and age appropriate coaching methods.
The ideal candidate will have had success-teaching/coaching school and pre school age kids with the ability to relate and communicate positively with parents and community members and have an enthusiastic personality that creates a fun sports environment.
Please apply to the specific camp(s) you are interested in being considered for:
Bernard Horwich JCC (Chicago/Rogers Park)
Mayer Kaplan JCC (Skokie)
“Z” Frank Apachi (Northbrook)
Elaine Frank Apachi (Buffalo Grove/Lake Zurich)