Day Camp Specialty Staff – Summer 2019
We’re the secret sauce of summer for over 3,500 children throughout the Chicago area.
Every Summer, the Apachi J Camps – each with its own special blend of camp – become the place where kids learn to spread their wings, test the waters, push their envelope and find their bliss.
JCC Chicago is on the lookout for talented Specialty Staff who will make our campers feel like one in a million! If you are looking for a way to create exciting experiences and heartwarming memories that last a lifetime, and spend your summer with 100 new best friends, JCC is the place for you!
- Adventure Tree Specialist (ZFA): supervise the Adventure Tree program, maintaining equipment, daily set up and take down, safety checks and teaching safety and climbing procedures to campers and staff. Must be 21 yrs. old without a fear of heights; we provide the one week of intensive training required for this position!
- Art Specialists: create and implement a dynamic hands-on arts curriculum.
- Climbing Wall/Ropes Course Specialists: outdoor adventure enthusiasts help campers build skills and self-confidence through wall climbing and small ropes course challenges.
- Dance Specialists: teach campers a variety of cool, hip, fun methods including modern hip hop, jazz and movement!
- Drama Specialists: Talented professionals develop curriculum focusing on improvisation games, movement, and storytelling.
- Garoon Gateway to Science Educator (EFA): On this beautiful 2-acre hands-on experiential science park, the Science Educator will lead activities for campers, care for and feed the reptiles in the biodiversity area and oversee Garoon’s daily operations.
- Gymnastics Specialists: teach Gymnastics to campers of a variety of ages & skills.
- Israel Experience Specialists: organically integrate meaningful, purposeful, quality Israel content and experiences into camp life.
- Lifeguards/Swim Instructors: American Red Cross certified Lifeguards maintain a safe environment for all participants. Swim Instructors teach “Learn to Swim” classes.
- Song Leaders: bring passion and music into everyday camp life leading all-camp song sessions, small-group singing and spirit-building activities.
- Sports Specialists: plan and lead fun and engaging activities in a variety of sports (basketball, soccer, baseball/softball, Flag Football, Gaga, etc.) with a focus on skills, teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Tech Camp Staff: our new BIG IDEA Camp at the Bernard Weinger JCC is led by staff who have a passion for all things techy and lead campers through the any of following workshops: Graphic Design, Animation, Electronic DJ, Digital Photography, Digital Fashion Design, Music Video Production, 3D Modeling, Web Design, Game Development, Cyber Security, Programming, Robotics and Mobile Apps Development.
- Yoga Specialists: plan and lead a fun Yoga program that get our campers moving and stretching in all kinds of cool ways.
Key Essential Job Functions (Physical Requirements):
- Lift/move children up to 45 lbs.
- Demonstrate physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day.
- Move from sitting (chair and floor) to standing position easily and quickly.
- Stand for long periods of time and be able to run and actively engage physically with children.
- Ability to assist getting children on and off the bus and or cars.
- Able to ride on bus for a field trip and or bus route.
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of children ages 3 – 12 years old.
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand.
- Actively participate with children during games including running & climbing.
- Be in a swimming pool up to one hour, observing and supervising children in the water.
- Move around with children at their pace and be actively involved with children rather than just watching them.
- Supervise children, keeping them in sight and sound at all times.
- Know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behaviors. Prevent, circumvent, and deal with problem behaviors appropriately and effectively.
- Maintain a sense of calm and perspective with physical and mental alertness during stressful times.
- Consistently demonstrate and reinforce the values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility.
- Ability to run up to 100 yards (in the case of a emergency).
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program.
Mid-June through Mid-August; specific dates vary by camp location
JCC Day Camps offer a great salary, bonus opportunities and a fun work environment!
Please apply to the specific camp(s) you are interested in being considered for: