Day Camp Pool Staff (Summer 2020)
Locations:Buffalo Grove/Lake ZurichChicagoNorthbrook
We’re the secret sauce of summer for over 3,500 children throughout the Chicago area. Every Summer, the Apachi J Camps – each with its own special blend of camp – become the place where kids learn to spread their wings, test the waters, push their envelope and find their bliss.
JCC Chicago is on the lookout for talented Pool Staff who will make our campers feel like one in a million! If you are looking for a way to create exciting experiences and heartwarming memories that last a lifetime, and spend your summer with 100 new best friends, JCC is the place for you!
Swim instructors are responsible for instructing children in group swim lessons and guarding free swim.
Lifeguards are responsible for maintaining a safe environment for all users. General pool maintenance may be required.
Key Essential Job Duties:
- Ability to lift/move children up to 40 lbs.
- Physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day (up to 4 hours/day in pool).
- Must also be able to hold and/or support children in chest deep water.
- Ability to lift children and adults out of the pool in an emergency situation.
- Ability to move from sitting (chair and floor) to standing position easily and quickly.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and be able to run and actively engage physically with children in and out of the swimming pool.
- Ability to react with physical and mental alertness in emergency situations (jump into the pool to rescue anyone that need assistance; small child(ren) to adults weighing more than 200 pounds using proper rescue equipment).
- Must be able to rotate head side to side to scan the pool while lifeguarding and be physically and mentally alert in emergency situations including rotating head to side to side.
- Ability to use of hands and arms for grasping, pulling, pushing and sliding aquatic chairs, pool stairs and PVC benches both in and out of the water.
- Ability to demonstrate, motivate and communicate a swim skill in the water and swim 50 yards.
- Ability to use a loud voice during swim lessons and supervise children and adults around and in the pool by sight and sound.
- Ability to set up and take down the pool each day (includes putting in/ removing stairs into the pool, placing lane lines in the pool by bending down and wrenching them in).
Mid-June through Mid-August; specific dates vary by camp location
JCC Day Camps offer a great salary, bonus opportunities and a fun work environment!
Demonstrated ability to swim with a genuine interest in working with children; knowledge of and experience teaching children in a “Learn to Swim” program helpful but we will train you!
Current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training and First Aid certification, as well as CPR for the Professional Rescuer certification required. We offer certification classes!
Please apply to the specific camp(s) you are interested in being considered for: