Day Camp Hebrew Speaking Counselors – Summer 2021
JCC Chicago is on the lookout for talented Hebrew speaking camp counselors with native fluency to connect language, culture and fun in our Hebrew Immersion Day Camp program – Apachi Ivrit.
Apachi Ivrit combines all the fun of day camp while exposing campers to conversational Hebrew by listening and speaking with counselors and friends.
In this role, staff will:
- Participate in the creation of weekly plans; help plan and implement activities with the ability to differentiate and individualize program based on the unique needs of the campers.
- Work collaboratively with the Hebrew Program Director; actively participate in daily staff meeting.
Key Essential Job Duties:
- Lift/move children up to 45 lbs.
- Demonstrate physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day.
- Move from sitting (chair and floor) to standing position easily and quickly.
- Stand for long periods of time and be able to run and actively engage physically with children.
- Ability to assist getting children on and off the bus and or cars.
- Able to ride on bus for a field trip and or bus route.
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of children ages 3 – 12 years old.
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand.
- Actively participate with children during games including running & climbing.
- Be in a swimming pool up to one hour, observing and supervising children in the water.
- Move around with children at their pace and be actively involved with children rather than just watching them.
- Supervise children, keeping them in sight and sound at all times.
- Know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behaviors. Prevent, circumvent, and deal with problem behaviors appropriately and effectively.
- Maintain a sense of calm and perspective with physical and mental alertness during stressful times.
- Consistently demonstrate and reinforce the values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility.
- Ability to run up to 100 yards (in the case of a emergency).
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program.
June 4 – August 6, 2021
JCC Day Camps offer a great salary, bonus opportunities and a fun work environment!
- Demonstrated proficiency in Hebrew (both written and oral) with knowledge of current Israeli culture, games, songs and books.
- Ability to work in a team environment and to be open to new ideas.
- Willingness to learn and practice the Proficiency Approach to language acquisition.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in creative strategies to communicate with campers such as physical demonstration, singing, etc.
- Ability to improvise and develop games and activities to motivate language development based on real time camp experiences.
- Ability to think on your feet, be spontaneous.