Day Camp Counselors & Specialists (Summer 2017)
JCC Chicago is on the lookout for talented camp counselors and specialists who will make our campers feel like one in a million! If you are looking for a way to create exciting experiences and heartwarming memories that last a lifetime, JCC is the place for you!
- Unit Heads: College graduates who plan and develop activities for specific campers groups; over see counselors.
- Counselors: Creative, motivated and enthusiastic Senior Counselors (college-age) and Junior Counselors (high-school age, 16 and older) work with groups of 12-16 campers.
- Climbing Wall/Ropes Course Specialists: Outdoor adventure enthusiasts help campers build skills and self-confidence through wall climbing and small ropes course challenges.
- Art Instructors: Experienced teachers who develop curriculum and teach a wide variety of art media.
- Drama Specialists: Talented professionals develop curriculum and teach acting and improvisation.
- Sports Specialists: Soccer, tennis, gymnastics, basketball and baseball/softball specialists teach skills, teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Dance Specialists: Professionals develop curriculum and teach modern hip hop, jazz and movement classes.
- Music Specialists/Song Leaders: Talented professionals lead all-camp song sessions, small-group singing and spirit-building activities.
- Yoga Specialists: Yoga specialists develop curriculum and teach yoga.
Key Essential Job Functions:
- Lift/move children up to 45 lbs.
- Demonstrate physical stamina and agility required to be mobile for long periods throughout the day.
- Move from sitting (chair and floor) to standing position easily and quickly.
- Stand for long periods of time and be able to run and actively engage physically with children.
- Ability to assist getting children on and off the bus and or cars.
- Able to ride on bus for a field trip and or bus route.
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of children ages 3 – 12 years old.
- Clearly and effectively communicate in a manner that children understand.
- Actively participate with children during games including running & climbing.
- Be in a swimming pool up to one hour, observing and supervising children in the water.
- Move around with children at their pace and be actively involved with children rather than just watching them.
- Supervise children, keeping them in sight and sound at all times.
- Know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behaviors. Prevent, circumvent, and deal with problem behaviors appropriately and effectively.
- Maintain a sense of calm and perspective with physical and mental alertness during stressful times.
- Consistently demonstrate and reinforce the values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility.
- Ability to run up to 100 yards (in the case of a emergency).
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program.
JCC Day Camps offer a great salary, bonus opportunities and a fun work environment!
Please apply to the specific camp(s) you are interested in being considered for:
Hyde Park JCC (Chicago/Hyde Park) and Anita M. Stone JCC (Flossmoor)
Apachi Chicago (on the campus of Univ of Illinois-Chicago)
Bernard Horwich JCC and Chavayah Overnight Camp (Chicago/Rogers Park)
Mayer Kaplan JCC (Skokie) and Apachi Northside (Chicago) https://jccnorth.campintouch.com/ui/forms/application/staff/App
“Z Frank Apachi (Northbrook) and Apachi Village (Bernard Weinger JCC, Northbrook) https://apachinorthbrook.campintouch.com/ui/forms/application/staff/App
Elaine Frank Apachi (Buffalo Grove/Lake Zurich)